Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Choking On It

There are tears swimming along the edges of my eyes. They sting, they make my vision blur at odd moments, and they are the suspended promise of sweet, salty release, relief. I can't seem to shed them.

I don't dare shed them.

I'm afraid that once begun, they will never stop, or not until I have wept, and wept, and flooded every valley, sent the small creatures running for the peaks, forced people to swim or paddle canoes to rooftops, wait for rescue, all while the torrent continues.

They're caught in my throat, making it hard to swallow...although perhaps I am better off not swallowing them, as I am told that swallowing sorrow, anger, unspoken words causes cancer in the stomach, as does swallowing any evil thing.

I feel as though I am choking on them, the struggle hampered by the ligature of my life, of the lines wrapped around me, binding me to a place I do not want to be but lack the courage to cut myself free from.

So here I sit with this unutterable something lodged in my mind, my eyes, my heart, my throat, and I'm choking on it.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Let it out, or you will explode,
or simply become a zombie.

Knight Angel said...

So easily said, so easily thought, Cynthia...but not as easily done when one has become so used to being fused shut. Sigh.