Friday, March 6, 2009

Love, Crave

I love a man I should not. He is not my husband. I have no right.

I love a man I should not. He is tall, solid, warm, low, and rumbly. I love him secretly, when I am alone, at night, in dark, quiet places.

I've written of him in other places, to other people. If words could purge him from me, entirely, cleanly, make him gone, or never was, I would write of him tirelessly to be free of him.

Because I love him, and I should not. It is folly. He's tender, gentle, kind, smart, and attentive. I love him painfully strong, big, overwhelming.

I don't want to love him. I want to love the man I married. I despair of this love.

He loves me back, clings like a cockle bur to me even when he isn't there, reminds me with his scent on the breeze - pine, smoke, something indefinably him.

When he is not there, I crave his heat, surrounding me, melting the ice I so carefully layered around my heart to ward him off.

When he is not there, I crave his presence, nestled against me in the night, skin to skin, feeling him along the length of me, his breath a mantra in the dark.

When he is not there, I crave his kisses, soft, sweet, insistent, passionate, toe-curling, breath-stealing kisses. Grown-up kisses. Kisses that leave me stunned, delighted, feeling well and truly loved.

When he is not there, I search for him, desperate for a few stolen moments...and when he is there, I run from him, craven, craving....

It's a hell of a thing when you're haunted by a dream, a figment, a construct of the imagination; when someone who isn't there, never was, fills the emptiness, completes the spirit in a way the man you married can't, won't, doesn't even know is there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

a taxing and trying place to be..

Mother Medusa said...

I used to feel this way, and then I found him... real. Beware, what you dream can become. And it, he will incorporate not only your bright longing, but your darker fantasies, too.

Knight Angel said...

Robert, yes it is...and if I weren't put together like (and stubborn as) a mule, it'd wear my sorry ass down.

MM - why do you think I run, even as I crave?

Cynthia said...

Authentic, I could read a novella
by you about this love, this man.

Knight Angel said...

Cynthia, thank you...but I dare not even write of him too often, for he is a sweet, addictive toxin, opium of the soul, and deadly in too large a dose...